We are looking forward to the fall start-up of one of the best services we offer in our Upward Bound program—tutoring. Our students will have the opportunity to attend an ALEKS (Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces) session every Tuesday! ALEKS is a web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine a student’s level of math competency. This program will help students increase their ACT/SAT scores and score higher on math placement tests.
In addition to using the ALEKS system, our tutors are going to take it to another level. Specifically, Upward Bound tutors will assess where our students need temporary assistance so that they might again resume independence. Tutoring this year will maximize our students’ academic potential and help them to achieve their academic and personal goals.
We are excited, too, about our Super Tutoring Tuesdays. To complement the hard skills that they are learning, the Bepko Learning Center will lead workshops every other Tuesday that will teach our students soft skills such as:
- Note-taking skills (how to get the most out of your textbooks)
- Self-management (you can't actually manage time, but you can manage yourself)
- Resource fair (stations with a variety of academic resources, apps, and websites)
- SMART goals (vision your goals)
- Study productivity and resources
- Test anxiety and strategies (biology of a test)
We look forward to cultivating these skills in our UB students and watching them grow into the leaders of tomorrow!