The Upward Bound enrollment process is highly selective. Program participants are expected to display a mature and positive demeanor. Each participant will be held accountable for maintaining a positive, productive, and respectful attitude and behavior.
To qualify, you must:
- Be enrolled in the 9th or 10th grade
- Have a GPA of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Meet federal income guidelines and/or be a first-generation college student
- Enroll in the Indiana Core 40 curriculum in high school
- Have a strong desire to attend college
- Complete the Upward Bound application process
- Be enrolled in one of the following high schools:
- Arsenal Technical High School
- Crispus Attucks High School
- George Washington High School
- Shortridge High School
- Warren Central High School
- Please complete the Upward Bound application online.
- Enter your teacher and counselor email address for the recommendation forms to be emailed to them.
- You will receive a confirmation email with links to the next steps:
- Your parent/guardian should fill out the Parent/Guardian information form
- Schedule an interview (both student and parent/guardian should attend)
- Parents/guardians will be asked to provide proof of your family’s income and proof of the student’s citizenship. Students will not be admitted until all paperwork has been turned in. These can be submitted online or brought to your interview.
The following are acceptable forms of documentation of income:
- A signed copy of your family's most current federal tax forms (e.g., Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040PC)
- Proof of a recent eligibility letter from a caseworker or public assistance agency that verifies the family's level of income, or assistance
- A recent Social Security or veterans benefit award letter
For proof of citizenship and residency, students must bring in one of the following combinations of information:
- A birth certificate and Social Security card
- A permanent residence card and Social Security card
Tentative application process
- Submit completed application through the Upward Bound website
- Student will receive an email following the receipt of completed application
- Submit Parent/Guardian portion of application using the form linked in the confirmation email, including required documents
- Schedule interview with student and parent or guardian
- Receive letter about status from Upward Bound
- Participant in new student orientation with parent or guardian
815 W. Michigan Street
IUPUI Taylor Hall
Lower Level, B07
Indianapolis, IN 46202
9:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.