From August through May, Upward Bound participants are provided support services to develop the total person and to encourage academic progress and improvement. These services include:
About the Program
Tutoring is offered during the week at IUPUI. Tutoring sessions are for the purpose of improving the student’s GPA, preparing for the End of Course Assessment (ECA), SAT/ACT readiness, and enhancing study skills.
During the academic year: Tutoring is available every Tuesday at IUPUI, Taylor Hall, 4:30 p.m.–7:00 p.m. We hold Super Tuesday twice a month, which includes food and a presentation on study skills.
- Academic Theme Saturdays
Programming is offered to support and augment high school instruction as well as to provide opportunities for career exploration and the development of success skills.
- Individualized Attention
Individual sessions and group workshops focus on each student’s academic progress to help develop his or her postsecondary options.
*Core 40/Academic/Technical Honors tracking
*Job Shadow opportunities
- College Tours
Upward Bound students travel to local, state, and regional colleges and universities to gain exposure to institutions of higher education. The visits can assist students with the college selection process.
*Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
*Historical Black Colleges and Universities
*Hispanic Serving Institutions
*St. Mary’s College
- Cultural Experiences
Upward Bound students are treated to field trips such as visits to museums, theater productions, and talks given by nationally known speakers.
*Carmel Theatre District
- Leadership Programs
Upward Bound students have the opportunity to participate in various leadership seminars and activities throughout the year.
*CLD Annual College Prep Fair
*Indiana TRIO Student Leadership Conference
*Stewart Speakers Series
During the summer, participants are offered the opportunity to live the college experience. Students take academic classes and live in residential housing on IUPUI's campus. Summer Academy exposes participants not only to challenges and fun but also offers students the chance to gain a sense of independence, improve social interaction skills, and most importantly, lessen the anxiety of their future college experience.
Benefits of Participating
- Recieve one-on-one mentoring and advising
- Engage in tutoring and study sessions
- Visit colleges and universities in the region
- Take classes that give you the foundation to succeed in college
- Socialize with other students and learn about different ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Take trips to museums, philharmonic concerts, the theater, and more
- Volunteer in the community
- Take part in leadership development workshops and conferences
- Explore career opportunities
- Learn more about the college admissions and financial aid processes
- Provide academic skill instruction in math, science, and language arts
- Make available tutoring and academic counseling for all participants
- Make a positive impact on test scores and grade point averages of students with a special emphasis on math, science, and language arts
- Expose students to new academic, social, and cultural learning experiences
- Enhance the overall personal and academic development of all participants
- Instill a positive attitude and appreciation toward lifelong learning
- Assist participants and parents/guardians with the preparation of college applications and financial aid forms